Change Yourself…Change The World.

A Bit About Bangladesh- Part Two
July 11, 2009, 11:12 am
Filed under: Bangladesh

Hello friends!

This past week I went on a site visit with Grameen Bank. All interns are required to go stay at a branch somewhere in Bangladesh for 3-5 days, to see how micro finance works at the ground level. I went on a four day trip with two other interns and an interpreter.

Many interns at Grameen Bank don’t like going on these site visits- because they feel that Grameen Bank only takes them to the five star branches where there is a 100% repayment rate, and where all of the Grameen borrowers rave about Grameen Bank and how much it has improved their lives- or feel pressured to say so because a branch manager is sitting right next to them. Sometimes, it is hard to get real information here. There are interns who feel that the interpreters aren’t translating correctly, or telling the whole truth. This is the downside of Grameen Bank- they are an amazing company and I have so much respect for them- but the International Program Department (which houses all of the interns) tries to sugar coat everything and acts like there are no problems whatsoever with Grameen Bank or Grameen borrowers. And this is definitely not the case. The fact that they DO try to conceal it is a shame, because it only makes interns want to dig deeper and try to find things that might not even be there. This is a very short post on the one big frustration many of us have been feeling here, and the biggest issue I have with Grameen Bank. So I was a bit wary when starting out on our site visit.

Fortunately, it turned out to be wonderful. Not because we got to meet with borrowers who were on flexible loans (if a borrower can’t pay back on schedule, they go on something called a ‘flexible loan’), or because we got some ‘real’ information… but because it was a very real cultural experience. Because I saw that the branch manager was just a regular Bangladeshi guy who wasn’t trying to scam us or hide things from us, but just someone living his life and doing his job. Because the food was so incredibly delicious, and for the first time in two weeks I didn’t get sick. Because all of the borrowers we met were so fun, giggled every time I introduced myself and said ‘shami na’ (no husband- everyone asks if I am married here because most women get married at 18), and sang for us. Because every night I sat in on a concert with tabla and the harmonium, and I got to play tabla again for the first time in a year. Because our interpreter ended up being really cool. Because the Area office we visited gave us so much food it covered the entire desk. The rickshaw rides, the gorgeous rice fields in Tangail, the most delicious mango and pineapple I’ve ever tasted, the smiles, the struggled conversation from English to Bengali to English with lots of laughter in between… it was an amazing week.

I’ve learned quite a bit of Bengali this past week. Bengali and Hindi are actually very similar, and since I’ve been in India for six months and speak a bit of Hindi, it’s been easy to pick up. For example:

‘What is your name?’

Hindi: Ap ka nam kya hai?

Bengali: Ap nar nam kee?

As you can see, it is very similar. I now know how to give a little ‘speech’ in Bengali- I can say ‘My name is Brittany, I am a student of Global Studies, I am 21 years old, I have three sisters, one brother, one mother, one father, and two dogs.’ I have repeated this endlessly, much to the delight of the borrowers. They all ask me whether I have a boyfriend, and when I say ‘na’ they ask (rather indignantly) why not. As if the worst thing in the world is for a 21 year old female to be single. I explain to them that in America, most women get married at 25, 26- even after 30 years old! They are all shocked. They also love to ask me how much kg I weigh (this is a very common thing to ask in Asia), and what that strange thing on my lip is (my lip peircing- an anomaly apparently never seen in Bangladesh. I have to explain to them it is the same as their nose piercing, but on my lip. Then they get rather excited…or disturbed).

As I’ve said before, Bangladesh has been a truly amazing experience (and continues to be). I would recommend to anyone who is interested in poverty alleviation, micro finance, social issues, anthropology, or the culture in Asia to come here and intern with Grameen Bank, and to learn a bit about Bangladesh.

Sadly, all good things must come to an end and I have only one week left here. Then I am off to India to visit my Tibetan family (which I will save for a later post), and then finally- home again!

See you on the flip side!

Love,

Brittany

10 Comments so far

On the other hand, a quality of long standing durability and
features like color & clarity of acrylic beads is much
better than the glass beads. You can correct and
adjust the ready made design pattern at your will. By searching on the net,
one can find hundreds of fashion industry portals where all kinds of information related to European fashion are available in detail.

Comment by plus size bodycon dresses for women

You will also need to stay away from too much exfoliation after tanning, so you don’t rub off the tanned skin.
You probably find yourself gaining knowledge and coming to a place where everything is working well for you at the given moment because of your
newfound awareness, but then it all falls apart again at the next moment.
Additionally, it can also play MPEG-4 video upto 2.

Comment by chloe sims girls how to make ribbon ponytail holders

So, if you are really looking forward to get rid of all your skin problems in a natural way,
get all solutions on. It might just be a case of trial and error,
if nothing seems to work speak to your dermatologist for any advice or try a different acne skin care product.
We don’t want to end up old and wrinkled because we spent every other day in a tanning booth.

Comment by Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo Amazon

To help save money on energy bills, choose a model that turns off automatically as soon as the clothes are dry, and again,
there is the option of rental finance if you can’t
quite afford a dryer just yet. They also boast more restaurants
and dining options than days of the week. But no one else will, even if
the fix is not perfect.

Comment by marine frigidaire freezer ice maker

These facts along with the enormous employment prospects, and
notwithstanding a relatively long payback period of
up to 10 years, still make geothermal energy the
best long term investment prospect. Per a survey of 28,000 online subscribers of Consumer
Report magazine, Mc – Donald’s hamburgers rank last among 18 national
and regional fast food chains. You can also go to the bank and put a certain amount of collateral next to that
and therefore you do not have to ask for the same amount of money.
Increasing the revenue budget in account 001-1001-324.
One of the roles of entrepreneurs in this market is to help homeowners and
tenants. The software consists of many features that are
of immense use to committed real estate investors, brokers, real estate agents and developers.
Thoughts of service charges and panic follow: ‘have I been paying all those rents
in past years. A real estate attorney who is familiar with the laws in your area and has experience
with real estate investments is one of your top team members.

“Bob Jones” subsequently subleases the ten offices individually.
You will need at least 8 parking spaces per 1000 Square Feet (SF) of restaurant space.

Comment by commercial real estate 101

Leland Tang, the Public Information Officer told the website that when Odom was pulled over he was given a field sobriety test, which he failed.
In – Style called the look “equal parts girlie and punk, like the pop star herself. It could possibly be employed generally because of development kind as well as excellent best quality.

Comment by bodycon dress sale online

This artificial fragrance, alcohols will create pain and skin irritation. Therefore,
there is no risk of cancer, skin rash, and many other allergies that you can catch by exposing your sensitive skin to
the elements. It uses radiofrequency energy to get rid of
the signs of aging.

Comment by best fake tan lotion in 2012

This will help you in selecting the company on the basis of the services offered and also on the cost they charge.
If you start practicing them immediately, you may find yourself getting on with your life and experiencing a heady freedom by tomorrow.
Because you have to set up your new house at new location.

Comment by Moving companies miamisburg ohio

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few
simple steps. This is to slough off any dead
or excess skin before applying the lotion. Every bride wants
to look their radiant best on their wedding day.

Comment by best spray tan products

Even frequent blow-drying at extreme heat or brushing obsessively can cause your hair to become extremely fragile causing it to break and fall out.
These use a number of techniques to move the natural oils down their hair such as boar bristle brushing and ‘scritching’ between washes.
light of one wavelength, not of an entire spectrum like a
light bulb.

Comment by capillus laser cap reviews